Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Surprising Obstacles

Last December, during routine blood tests to check my weird thyroid,  my doctor noticed some out of the ordinary numbers regarding my kidney function.

Someone needs to inform my body that "Fifty = Fabulous", and not Fifty = Full On Body Fail". 

We redid the test a few times, always getting the same results.  The numbers weren't good, but they weren't horrible either, so I went ahead and returned to Rwanda.  I didn't want to delay my return any further, because as it was, I would only just make it back in time to meet Sam and Ruthie for their midterm 4 day break from school.  We had planned for me to fly directly back to Nairobi to meet them, as Tim could not take off work in Rwanda at that time.  It is required for one parent, or a guardian, which we would have had to pre-arrange and hadn't, to be there to pick up kids for this break time when the school shuts down for much needed staff R&R.  Besides really missing my kids, I was quite obligated to be there as well.  So, pretty much unless I was dying, I really needed to get on the plane and get to Africa.





Since then, my sweet in-house doctor, Tim, has made sure I've continued monitoring my kidney numbers via testing in an excellent clinic in Nairobi.  We'd thought perhaps this kidney deal was a temporary problem, which would rectify itself with some time.  However, six months later, my numbers still aren't good.

Frustrating, but certainly nowhere near the kind of concerns, hurts and problems we see daily with so many patients at our hospital - and with patients who have absolutely ZERO other options to just "fly to Kenya or America" for further care.

This really is just what I'd call a kidney "glitch".  It is nowhere near a crisis, or anything super scary.  It is just something we need to watch, and would sure like to figure out.  Yes, it's not good, but truly, it's not a big deal, either.

But, this kidney glitch highlights for me once again the unfairness of this current world.  I admit I am thankful to be born into the privilege that allows me to pay attention to something that wouldn't even be detected yet, were it happening with one of our friends here in Rwanda.  Yet I am also filled with enormous guilt that I am so privileged.  This once more makes me long for Heaven, when finally all will be made right.  All will be equally unfair there.  No one will be there out of "fairness".  All will be enjoying an eternal life of privilege, the bliss and joy of living and loving in a perfect environment, soaking up all that love and care, thrilled to be daily in the presence of our Friend and Savior, Jesus.  None will be left out, none will be second or third class.  None will be deprived while 10% consume 90% of the benefits.  I can't wait.

Meanwhile, my kidneys.  Even after multiple tests, we have no idea why they aren't working well.  We only know that they aren't.  They aren't terrible - I'm far from needing dialysis or anything.  But it is a concern.  I'm a point away from being stage 3 - so, technically stage 2, a good thing.

Is it because of my lifelong habit of drinking Coca-cola, for many years diet and the last 10 the "real thing"?  Is it because I have neglected to eat my veggies regularly?   Am I just unlucky in the kidney department?

We don't know.  But we are now at the point where I need to go back home for a biopsy.  Hopefully, that will tell us why this is happening and help us make a plan.

I won't be able to see anyone besides a few family members on my very quick 10 day trip - but I'd sure love to have your prayers as we try to understand what is happening with this half a century young body of mine, and how it will impact our future ministry in Africa.  We love working here.  We love living here.

Tim jokes that I must have been born African and switched at birth - I thrive in this culture.  And not just because we get to operate on "African Time" - though that really is a big plus for me!  But also, I love the food, the smiles, the greeting your friends on the road, the walking, not having to even worry one minute about my outfit being in style or ever concerning myself or watching others concern themselves with keeping up with the Joneses.  Heck, the Joneses don't even live here.  What do any of us care what they do?

Is it wrong to enjoy where you live and minister?  Or are we only supposed to go where we "suffer for Jesus"?  That isn't a real question, so no need to answer it.  Of course, it sure seems to me that God usually - not always, but usually - gives a real love of a place to those he sends somewhere - He is a good God and loving Father, yes?  Anyway, He certainly has done that for Tim and me and our kids.  As much as I love and miss the good ole USA, especially the Texas part,  I will always be so grateful to have moved to Africa and discovered whole new "lands that I love" and new countries that I pray for God to bless.  I don't just sing "God Bless America" anymore, but "God Bless America, and Rwanda, and Kenya, and DRC, and Burundi...."

Will you pray for me about my kidneys?  And for my travel back home?  And for the biopsy procedure?  And will you pray for Deste as I have to leave him behind yet again for another trip?  He'll be home with his Dad,  and with Aunt Jeanne, too, but still.....I worry about his heart - he has gone through so many changes!  Will you pray for our family? 

Thank you. 


4 comments:

  1. I will pray, Linda, for all these things. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kit! So, so much! I love you, too! Beware those scammers! :)

      Delete
  2. Hope all will be well. Trust.
    -Melody Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, praying for your kidneys, travel, & biopsy, for Deste and the whole family!

    ReplyDelete