Sunday, May 3, 2015

All in the Family

Our 23rd Anniversary Weekend




It might seem a bit strange for a couple to spend their anniversary celebration weekend WITH some of their children, but for us, this year, it was a perfect plan.  

Tim and I had to send Ruthie and Sam back to their boarding school two weeks ago, and we missed them already.  Since I needed to come to Nairobi last week for some medical tests (nothing too serious; don't worry, mom!), Tim decided to come join me here for the weekend so we could celebrate.  

Being so near the kids, we couldn't imagine spending the weekend so nearby them without seeing them.  So, the family-friendly anniversary weekend was born.  We found a very reasonably priced lodge called the "Lake Naivasha Resort", and headed out there on Saturday.  

For nearby families, we really enjoyed this place.  They have a few "luxury tent cabins", which means the tents have comfortable bed, toilet, sink, shower and electricity included.  There are multiple (10?) other non-luxury tents in a grove of beautiful Acacia trees, closer to the lake, which have the bed, but not the bathroom nor electricity, for quite a bargain price, especially in low season like now.  Then there are maybe 10 or 12 log type cabins - I didn't see inside those, but assume they were your basic cabin. They do have electricity.  The grounds are beautiful.  Large, open lawn, beautiful, tall trees, a clean and refreshing swimming pool, a restaurant, and dock with some small boats for cruising around the lake.  




 



More than anything, the beauty of this place comforted our tired souls and bodies, and provided an uninterrupted place for the four of us to visit, catch up, and just enjoy being together. 





Being Americans, of course we were also entertained by the numerous monkeys, especially the mamas and baby monkeys, roaming about and causing mischief.  One time, I wandered back to my tent from the swimming pool, only to find about 4 monkeys on my bed!  They scampered out as soon as I disturbed them by daring to enter my room.  I assume these cute little guys annoy locals, as they are scavengers and cause a bunch of chaos - kind of the way ranchers in Texas feel about armadillos, nutria in our lakes, and for some, even deer.  But for us Americans, we enjoyed every moment of watching these cute monkeys running around, stealing food, balancing and climbing trees so skillfully. 

 








What a treat!  Ice in our coke!  Ahhhhhh




I'm not going to want to go back to Nairobi tomorrow! 












But, I can't wait to return to Rwanda on Wednesday or Thursday to see my sweet Deste and Jeanne.  I miss them so much. 













No comments:

Post a Comment