Wednesday, November 5, 2014

An Awesome Gift!

"But Jesus said, 

"Let the children come to me. 

Don't stop them! 

For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children."



Matthew 19:14

I received an amazing gift today, and that gift reminded me of just one of the reasons I think Jesus feels the way he does about kids.  "The kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children."  And what are children like, exactly?  Raising one again, I remember daily that they can be messy, moody, cute, innocent, impish, mean, nice, pouty and etc.  But the character trait I think Jesus was thinking of (though of course, I don't really know), was the way kids love with abandon, without concern for themselves.  When they care, they just care.  When they love, they just love.  No planning, no jockeying for position, no strategies - they just love and give and care.  


 

That's what happened to me today.  After school, a young girl across the street walked over and asked me to please come see her mom because she had something to tell me.  I walked over, wondering what was going on, and her mom, Erica, told me that Emma, her daughter, had a surprise for me.   

Emma came to Trinity Baptist's "Courageous Kids" program this past Sunday night, where I presented a talk about Rwanda and what our family does there.  Emma and her family are new in town, and haven't found things like a church to attend, or doctors, or even places to get haircuts yet.  But she, her little brother and her awesome Mom came anyway, just because I needed someone to help entertain Deste while I was giving my talk!  I showed many pictures and explained about life there, and the ways it is different from life here, along with the ways it is the same.  The kids were so attentive - I was really impressed!  Not once did I have to ask a child to pay attention or quit talking.  
And these were 1st through 6th graders!   


Anyway, it turns out that Emma was especially touched by the stories she heard and the pictures she saw, and when she went home, she told her mom that she wanted to do something to help the children of Kibogora, Rwanda.  She went through her clothes, and picked out many adorable things for them.  These weren't all worn out, raggedy things, these were the cutest clothes ever!  And she donated about 5 pairs of shoes, as well. And, to top it off, she gave $30 from her piggy bank - $30 of her OWN money! 
 


I almost cried.  

So encouraging.  So trusting!  You can bet I am going to make sure those clothes go to super special kids in our village, and I think I'll use the money to buy food for some families with small children, who are out of groceries.  Either that, or it will go to pay some students' school supply and uniform fees.  

Wow.  

THANK YOU, EMMA!  I know Jesus is so proud of you and so glad you shared what you had with your brothers and sisters in Rwanda.  

AND, THANK YOU, JESUS, FOR EMMA!  Thank you that she cares so much about kids she has never even met, but only saw on a TV screen from my computer one time.  Thank you that her family moved in across the street from us so we could meet them this past August.  Thank you for all the fun she and her little brother, Wesley, have had with Deste.  Please bless Emma, Lord, and bless the clothes and money she has donated, so that it will bless many families in Rwanda.  Amen.   


This picture reminds me of Emma, looking right at Jesus and enjoying his smile as he sees what she did for the children of Kibogora, Rwanda.  


 



No comments:

Post a Comment