Monday, June 2, 2014

42


No way!

Yes, way!


I used to say this about all sorts of silly things, many decades ago.

But now, when I think about how we have only 42 days left in Rwanda, I find myself remembering this old phrase and 
thinking it over and over (only the number of days keeps getting smaller.)




We leave kibogora (temporarily) in 42 days.  

What?

42 days? ........NO WAY!!!!  

Yes, way. 








42 days left to see friends, visit patients, for Tim to operate,  to see my sewing ladies.  42 days left for working on college apps with Prudence, taking Joshua jilles, Moses Deste and Fabrice to swim in Beautiful Lake Kivu and shopping for tomatoes and flour in Tyazo market.  42 days to hang out with the Land family www.landfamilymissions.blogspot.com and be with them as they make new friends and continue adjusting to their new home, 8,000 miles away from their family, church and lifelong friends.





I'm reading up about handling transitions, because this one seems already to be knocking me over. 



I'm so excited to see my loved ones in the United States, yet I'm basically losing it every day about leaving my loved ones here. 

This whole "belonging in two worlds" thing is kinda hard for this small town Texas girl to process.  Maybe I'm having a hard time with saying good-bye, and with this transition, because our return date is rather open-ended/completely unknown.  We don't know exactly when we'll return, because it depends on when God chooses, in His perfect timing, to make it possible for us to return by moving the people He has already chosen to donate the funds we need.  

In our home-school here, we read a devotion this morning about how God already KNOWS the person that Macy, Zach and Sam will marry one day.  OR, He already knows that they will not ever marry.  If they'll marry, He knows what their future spouse had for breakfast today, where he or she now lives, and what she or he looks like.  He knows his or her name.  He knows how they'll meet.  

If Zach, Macy and/or Sam will never marry, God knows that, too.  He knows why that will be best for them.  He knows how He'll use them in a special way on this earth, a way that wouldn't be possible if they did marry.  

He knows it all.  

He directs our paths.  

We don't know how or when the funds for our mission work will come, or from whom they'll come, but He knows.  He knows how, He knows when, He knows from whom.  He knows why we have to go home now.  We can rest, really rest, knowing He loves us and He has a great plan.  Even though we ourselves are CLUELESS.  

Then again, I've always been this way with transitions.  Maybe I'd still be this upset, even if we had it all figured out.  I still remember, like it was yesterday, when I handed my Dad my cheer pom poms after the last football game of my senior year and literally bawled all the way home from the football field, certain that my life was OVER, and that I could NOT make the transition to life after high school - that NOTHING would ever be the same and could never be as good again as it was at that moment.  (Thanks Dad, for not laughing too loudly at me back then and for your patience with your overly sentimental and transitions-impaired daughter.)  And if I was that bad in November of my senior year of high school, just imagine what I was like at graduation.  Yes.  I was a mess.  A total mess.  Just ask my parents or high school friends like Kirk, Kelly, Charmaine, Dey or Noel.  

At least regarding this transition, our family will have these friends (see pic below) back home to welcome us, friends who have experienced where we've lived these last two years. I have a hunch that these people will make it much easier for us to re-engage and reconnect back home, because if we start crying for no reason in church or show up wearing Keen's and hippy skirts (or for the guys, bright floral Hawaiian type shirts, slacks and sandals) to a formal event, they'll understand!! Haha. Just joking. I won't wear my Keens to any weddings.  Promise.  And also, in case any Rwandan friends are reading - I realize Rwandans are very sharp dressers and would never wear these things to weddings here - it is the Mzungus who wear the casual clothes, not the Rwandans, mainly b/c we are trying to navigate the bumpy roads and don't have the same core strength as our Rwandan friends, so we can't handle wearing "real shoes" here. 




If you have time, would you please pray for me, Tim and our children as we make this new adjustment? We want to readjust well, to re-engage in our home culture while we are there, and to enjoy the time with family and friends to the fullest. 

We also want to help Hannah as she moves back into college for her sophomore year, and to help Stephen as he moves into his dorm at TAMU for the first time.  Even though we are sad to leave, we are also beyond thankful and excited for the many opportunities like these that we'll have because of our time in the States.  

I don't remember who said it, but it's true: "Wherever you are, be all there." That's what we want to do! (Without forgetting our friends here, of course, just like we haven't forgotten our USA loved ones while living in Rwanda.) 



Thanks.....

P.S.  One thing that will not take any effort to adjust to is.....Chick Fil A!  We plan to drive through on our way home from the airport...... :) 

1 comment:

  1. Linda- I have so enjoyed reading your blog and will pray for y'all's transitions to the US. We met last year at the Mayfield in Nairobi and you sold me the beautiful programs for my wedding (I do hope you received the check) - Stephany Guiles

    ReplyDelete