Monday, April 14, 2014

Morning walk

My fitness guru, Hannah Berg, told me about a cool phone app called "map my run", which tracks your distance, speed, etc , and even plays music for you when you run. I checked the App Store and discovered that, for muchechus (old ladies) like me, there is a "map my WALK" app, which I downloaded and have enjoyed using here. 

Along the way on my walks, I sometimes stop and learn something new or make a new friend. (Shh! Don't tell my workout coach that I'm resting!) 

Here are some pics from today's walking adventure 



I took the pic bc of his Tshirt - Burnet Bulldogs!! I bet whoever donated this shirt had no idea it would end up on a nice young man in rural Rwanda! 





This young lady put me to shame. As I'm huffing and puffing on my "power walk", here she comes, walking the same speed, while carrying two heavy rocks on her head - and being cheerful about it! I tried to lift the top rock to see how heavy it was, and I couldn't budge it at all. She was one of many on the road today carrying these rocks! 



My favorite stop today was when some folks picking coffee beans invited me to join them. I learned the kinyarwanda word for coffee (which I wish I'd written down because now I've forgotten) and really enjoyed meeting Simon, Louise and their friends. Starbucks ain't got nothin on our amazing Rwanda coffee!! 









They invited me to their home tomorrow, so maybe I can see how they wash, dry and roast the beans, too! 

Who knew exercise could be such an adventure, eh?








No comments:

Post a Comment